I often wish child development classes were mandatory when you have kids. I mean why on earth do those marvelous creations act like getting into their carseats is strapping them down to be waterboarded...even when it is somewhere they want to go?! Their little minds seem so complex and mysterious, but when you understand their development and what is motivating them they suddenly begin to unfold like one of those age appropriate books you read over and over every.single.night.
A few days ago Warrior was being, well, true to her name. She was fighting and mean to us and the babies. Her mood swings were actually worse than mommy's post partum- ha. It was so tempting for me to think that was just HER- her nature and her character, and not only was it HER, but she was acting that way because I've been failing as a mom. Somehow I've already warped her with my own shortcomings and struggles. I mean isn't she just reacting to me? (because Lord knows I'm was so tired and hormonal I was hardly dealing with it gracefully)
And then I catch a glimpse of them like a revelation while she is screaming at me, the tips of those white deamons slicing their way through the flesh of her gums. It probably should have ocurred to me, but in my exhaustion I swear I didn't even think of it until I saw them that she was getting her 2nd year molars through finally. Suddenly heaven opened up and the weight of my guilt evaporated into the realization that my baby was just in pain and miserable and she probably does not even know why, which would be scary too. I grabbed my teething battle gear (because she has always had a hard time with it) and armed with chamomille and herbal calcium and the rest of my arsenal, I proceeded to fight FOR my baby instead of WITH her. Just knowing why made a huge difference in how I was able to handle her.
Lord give me the patience to stop and look and listen to my children. Let me hear what they do say and what they can not say, but plead to me with their eyes and wail through their tears. Give me wisdom to understand their develpment and the ability to meet the needs that You have designed me to as their mom. In Jesus name, Amen.
Wonderful, Lindsey. Thank you for being vulnerable and real and sharing your thoughts and feelings. Your children have the best start in life, by having such a godly mom and dad. I pray that God will continue to bless you and yours, and through your lives, bless others.
ReplyDeleteLindsey: I am interested in what's in your teething arsenal. I'm new to this homeopathic approach. I'm excited to see what else you have up your sleeve.
ReplyDeleteAlso, another question, do you cloth diaper ALL of your kids?! Holy amazing. I seriously could not imagine. You are incredible.
Oh gosh, thanks! I do/did cloth diaper all 3 kids. The 2-yr-old is in pullups now (chlorine-free and environmentally friendly ones) or training panties because diapers were not working anymore, but she isn't digging potty training. It's not bad at all. I soak them at night and wash every day or every other day. I save a ton of money compared to buying disposables for 2 babies.
DeleteTeething:
Homeopathic- Hyland's teething tablets, chamomilla 6x (chamomille- you can crush the pills between sterile spoons and give them the powder)
Herbal- herbal calcium from Mountain Meadow Herbs. Was the main thing that has helped with the 2nd year molars
One other tip I like to share- If they like the Nuk-type pacifiers you can fill the nipples with water and freeze. Warrior loved it, especially before nursing so she wouldn't bite me
I also made her healthy popcicles, frozen bananas and waffles- things like that she liked to chew on
Good luck; teething is brutal sometimes!